Glenn Lawrentz Jr., a.k.a “G Lawrentz” from Everett, Washington, is a Italian-American music producer/engineer. Known for his versatile music compositions, G Lawrentz produces a wide variety of genres, such as Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Pop and Electro, but clings to producing his more favorite genres, such as Rap, Horrorcore and Grime. Co-Founder of the music production company “Headstrong Music Group” (founded in 2010, with co-founder 2Soul) and owner/engineer of Headstrong Studios in Lynnwood,Washington. G Lawrentz attended Edmonds Community College in 2003, where he majored in Digital Audio Production. After graduating, in 2005, G Lawrentz struggled to build a portfolio for himself, as a music producer, and occupied his time learning the art of audio recording and audio engineering, while also continuing his passion for creating and producing music.
1. What made you want to become a producer?
Music has always been an obsession of mine. It started as something I listened to constantly and evolved into something I wanted to create. Something about making music holds such a strong form of expression, through the creation of waveforms and audible emotions.
2. First instance in which you knew you wanted to be a producer?
When I was able to create something others enjoyed is when I decided music production was something I should pursue.
3. Producer Influences?
Omar Santana, Enigma, Neophyte, Lex Luger, DJ Paul & Juicy J
4. Favorite Beat Of All Time and why?
“U Don’t Want None” by Lord Infamous. Produced by Enigma. Everytime I hear that beat, I get wired, inspired and fired UP!
5. Favorite piece of equipment and why?
Roland TR-808!! In my opinion, nothing packs a bigger punch then a good ole’ 808 kick, clap and snare!! The 808 is the one machine that is still used to this day by many producers.
6. Everyone has a signature that is how we distinguish a producer what would you say it is in your beats?
I like to keep a down south feel to a lot of my work. But I also like to keep my work as unique as possible, either with a touch of future or a hint of evil.
7. If you were to describe your beats what kind of style would they be? Is there a certain sound you try to cater to?
I have always been more on the southern tip as far as a “style”, but I TRY to keep it on what’s modern. Though I’m not forcing myself to make whats hot, I try to keep with the times. Their is no specific sound I cater to, whatever happens.. happens.
8. How do you handle change as a producer for instance when a sound gets hot like trap music do you follow the trend or continue doing you?
I seem to find that change comes natural, eventually my ears catch on as do certain elements in my work. However, I like to stick to what I enjoy making. I find that the more enjoyment you recieve from your work the more positive the results.
9. Do you mind sampling in your beats or do you like to make everything near scratch?
If I hear something that I think would sound cool, I’ll sample it. But I like to keep control of the music I am making alot of the times.
10. Where is the future for G Lawrentz the producer, goal in mind or just continue making quality beats and seeing where it goes?
I think most if not all producers would like to get signed or get some sort of production deal. I think it’d be cool to get into something like that, but I’m not really shooting towards it.
11. For those who may not be familiar what are some songs you have produced, albums you have worked on, and stuff you have coming in the future?
My clientele base is young but still growing. I’ve worked with 2Soul, Esseno, Lions Ambition, G.Khan, Unique, Young Flame, Whitney Dalynn, Eden, Eva Sabiniano, Alexis, etc. I continue to work with 2Soul and have some projects coming up including a compilation and a EP.
12. For those interested in purchasing production how can they get a hold of you?
http://www.headstrong-music.com I have contact information on the site. They can also reach me on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/glawrentz
G Lawrentz – Destruction Terror
G Lawrentz – Dicks, Pussies, & Assholes
G Lawrentz – Future Sounds
G Lawrentz – Helter Skelter
G Lawrentz – Lost Loves & Forgotten Melodies